Our Kids

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, June 29, 2009

A wonderful Father's Day gift!

As most of you probably know by now, we had a baby boy! His name is Mason Christopher, and he was born June 21st. He weighed 9 lbs 8 oz, and was 21 inches long. Needless to say, Dan was thrilled with his Father's Day present:)! And Ethan absolutely loves his little brother! He understood right away that Mason was our baby, and he lights up every time he sees him. Normally, Ethan is not the gentlest of kids, but he is so gentle with Mason! Even at the hospital, he was petting Mason's hair and touching his face as carefully as possible - it amazes me how quickly kids clue in!

And now, for those of you who like to hear labour & delivery stories here you go...

I started having contractions on Saturday night at around 8:30pm, and kept having them throughout the night. We stayed at home until they were about 4 minutes apart, which was around 3:30am. We headed off to the hospital where they hooked me up to various monitors in triage and checked to see how far along I was. The nurse who checked me said I was only 1cm (which was really disappointing!), so she said I would probably be sent home to wait a bit longer. However, I had high blood pressure, so the doctor ordered blood work and told me to stay at the hospital to wait for the results. So we stayed in triage while we waited, which took about an hour or so. Apparently, there were "abnormalities" in my blood work, so they decided to admit us and put us into our own room. In the meantime, my contractions had been getting stronger and closer together. When we got to our room, the nurse checked me again to see how I was doing, and (surprisingly) I was 9cm!! At this point, the nurses told me I was too far along for any drugs, so they offered me laughing gas (which I tried for two or three contractions and abandoned because it didn't help at all). So it wasn't long before I was 10cm and ready to start pushing. Mason finally arrived at 7:30am, and Dan was the one who actually got to catch him and put him on my chest! He really enjoyed that experience:). Things sure have come a long way since the days of dads waiting in the hallway!

And now for some pictures...

Here's Ethan gently poking Mason:).
Mason all bundled up and sleeping soundly.
Mason awake and looking up at Mom.
Ethan just watching his little brother.
Gently touching Mason's head.

Well, that's all for now! I can't promise I'll be posting again very soon, but I'll try to keep the blog updated as best I can.


4 comments:

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

Congrats again! He is soo precious! Ethan looks very enamored with him! Hope you guys are doing well and settling-thinking about you and hoping we can see you for a bit when we are out.

Yvonne said...

I have to say you looked amazing at church Lynn! Mason is so precious and it's good to read that Ethan loves his brother so much. It's so great when siblings get along. Have a good afternoon!

Courtney and Jon said...

WOW Lynn. Congrats to you and your family.
YOu look amazing in your photos. Mason is a gem.
Have fun transitioning into a family of four.

Dayna said...

Hey Lynn!

I love the photos, just so you know I started posting some of my photos on my blog again.